Cantharidin Poisoning due to Blister Beetle Ingestion in Children : Two case reports and a review of clinical presentations

Ali M. Al-Binali, Medhat Shabana, Suliman Al-Fifi, Sami Dawood, Amer A. Shehri, Ahmed Al- Barki

Abstract


Cantharidin is an intoxicant found in beetles in the Meloidae (Coleoptera) family. Ingestion may result in haematemesis, impaired level of consciousness, electrolyte disturbance, haematurea and renal impairment. Here, we report two paediatric cases of meloid beetle ingestion resulting in cantharidin poisoning and the clinical presentation of the ensuing intoxication.



Keywords


Cantharidin; Intoxication; Meloidae; Paediatric; Blister beetle; Case report; Saudi Arabia.

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, PO Box 35, Postal Code 123, Al-Khod, Muscat, Oman

ISSN (Print edition): 2075-051X ISSN (Internet edition): 2075-0528

Copyright SQUMJ 2019. This journal and its content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution No Derivatives 4.0 International license.

Flag Counter