Main Article Content

Abstract

Objectives: Emergencies can occur at any time and be life-threatening or cause permanent damage. Accordingly, the management of emergency cases is an integral part of primary healthcare (PHC). This study aimed to estimate the proportion and types of emergency cases presented to PHC centres in Muscat, Oman. Methods: This retrospective cross-sectional study was conducted from March to August 2016 at five PHC centres in the Muscat Governorate. A total of 800 emergency cases (i.e. those labelled in the health information system as an accident and emergency) of Omani patients aged ≥5 years presented during this period. Every second case, based on arrival to the registration desk, was selected for analysis. Electronic medical records were reviewed to collect data regarding demographic features, presenting complaints, time and season of presentation, management provided and method of transportation if referred to tertiary care. Results: The proportion of emergency cases was <2.5% (range: 1–2.5%). The most common type of emergency was musculoskeletal issues/trauma (34.3%) followed by gastroenterological (15.1%) and genitourinary (10.0%) emergencies. Most patients were either 21–39 or 5–12 years old (35.0% and 21.6%, respectively). The majority (59.6%) were treated directly at the health centre, while the remaining patients (40.4%) were referred to tertiary care. At referral, only 12.1% were transported by ambulance and the rest via private transport. Conclusion: Musculoskeletal issues/trauma was the most common type of emergency seen at the selected PHC centres in Muscat. Further research is needed to determine whether PHC centres have the capability and resources necessary to appropriately manage emergency cases.


Keywords: Emergencies; Primary Healthcare; Public Health; Emergency Medicine; Oman.

Article Details

How to Cite
Al Mahrouqi, A., Al Maqbali, R. H., Al Fadhil, F., & Al Salmani, A. A. (2021). Types of Primary Healthcare Emergencies in Muscat, Oman: A retrospective cross-sectional study of five primary care centres. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal [SQUMJ], 21(4), 572–577. https://doi.org/10.18295/squmj.4.2021.037